Find and sustain a tenancy with Lift’s Private Rented Sector Sustained Tenancy and Empowerment Project (PRS STEP)
Lift now provides a service aiming to house single people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in to the Private Rented Sector whilst providing training and volunteering opportunities.
For many people in Brent who do not have priority need, private rented accommodation is the only viable solution to get housed. PRS STEP aims to create sustainable tenancies and prevent the costly and damaging effects of becoming homeless on the individual and society.
We will be working closely with the London Borough of Brent, local Landlords and Agents as well as local service providers to ensure people can access decent and sustainable accommodation in the private sector.
Who is eligible?
The project is aimed at single men and women in Brent who are homeless or at risk of homelessness with low and medium support needs.
Due to recent HB changes, most under 35’s will only be able to access shared accommodation whilst over 35’s will be able to access studio or one bed accommodation. We are aiming to set up a matching service for shared accommodation for eligible clients.
We will be taking referrals from a variety of agencies and will also welcome self referrals.
What can we offer Clients?
We will offer a bespoke Resettlement programme tailored to the individual offering:
- Help with searching for accommodation
- Pre-tenancy training in group environment including independent living, self advocacy, advice on liaising with landlords, sustaining accommodation.
- Accompanying to the viewing and sign up
- Post resettlement support including help setting up utilities, changing benefit addresses and applying for any relevant grants, support with landlord liaison
- Linking in and supplement any existing support and sign posting to other agencies if a gap is identified.
- Post tenancy support which includes visiting the client in their new home providing ad hoc support if and when needed.
- Encouragement and support for those wish to link in with Lift’s employment and involvement services and other relevant services to improve skills and confidence
- Peer support including training and volunteering opportunities as ‘PRS Navigators’ to support clients accessing and sustaining tenancies
What can we offer Landlords?
- Pre vetted pool of ready to move in tenants.
- Help with processing HB application and ensuring it is paid direct to Landlord.
- Named point of contact for duration of tenancy to support landlord.
- Support to Tenant to help insure tenancy is a success.
- Professional advice around Benefit changes and how to mitigate risks they may cause.
If you are a prospective tenant or Landlord interested in finding out more please contact Matthew Burton on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 965 2561 or 07904 381 358.
The service is being run in partnership with Thames Reach and is funded by Crisis.